Sunday, March 28, 2010

Third Quarter Outside Reading Book Review

90 Minutes in Heaven by Don Piper. Revell, 2004. Genre: Biography Novel

On the way home from a conference in Texas Don Piper’s car was hit by an 18-wheeler. When EMT’s arrived at the scene the pronounced him dead and that he was killed instantly. Don’s body was stuck in the crushed remains of his car so they had to cut him out with the Jaws of Life. While they were waiting for the jaws of life Don Piper was experiencing heaven. 90 minutes later he came back to life and shares his story.

“A friend handed me this book at about midnight, and come two or three in the morning, I was still reading. It’s a wonderful and inspiring story that brightens your perspective, giving you a sense of security, clarity, and warmth. - Donald Miller”

Don Piper’s 90 Minutes in heaven gave me a whole different perspective on religion and believing in heaven. The way he describes is the one place that is always happy, always peaceful, and always calm. The writing style was very descriptive and throughout the book he kept mentioning that he could not describe what he was seeing in human words. I haven’t read any other book like this before but I would like to because it was a great experience reading this one.

“As strange as it may seem, I could clearly distinguish each song. It sounded as if each hymn of praise was meant for me to hear as I moved inside the gates of heaven.” (pg.31)

Don Pipers story was a excellent read and I loved the story because not only was it good but it was a true story which really made me think. If there are other books out by this author then I would definitely read them because of what this man went through.

No comments:

Post a Comment